Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Another cig talk

A colleague has resigned because he received a job offer in Riyadh, KSA -eww- and we were talking about it during the cig break which brought the group to another subject, someone said "guys have to focus on their career at some time in their life but you girls don't have to care about yours, because, you know, you're gurls!!" I couldn't help but to laugh and say "WHAT!!" another one jumped in and said "huh, Dareen is always against oriental culture".. okay, wtf is going on!

What exactly is in the "Oriental Culture" to be liked anyway? but away from that, why wouldn't a gurl care about her career? don't we have ambition? I can confidently tell that my own ambition and goals are way more than most of the guys out there, and I DO care about my career and plan ahead for my path, I'm a workaholic and I enjoy it.
Away from my ego, and back to the society, all I can say about it, is "typical".

The way women are treated here is really frustrating and the neglected women talents are going to waste in order to focus on *more important* talents, the ones she will be using to earn her living later from the man dominating her! including breeding more sick ppl.

It's more like a trend here, to embrace traditions, deciding what's right n wrong based on predecessors' traditions which again means that we don't even have an original culture of our own.. it's extremely retrospective and builds upon history's rotted old stories.

I'm a woman, and I do dare to rebel. Die within yourself if you don't like it, and I won't care.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tradition is an explanation for acting without thinking

StealthMaker said...

You're in the minority; just cause you see a career in your future does not mean that other girls do.

All you have to do is take a look at the company you work in, see how many men and women are in each age group in each department.

Talk to the girls you know and ask them if they want to continue working or they'd rather stay home. Ask the guys the same question. My guess is that most guys would say just like most girls, I'd rather stay home. Difference is, most guys don't have a choice and would probably keep on working well into their 50's. In our community, most girls DO have a choice, and the majority of them never work past their 30s.

I personally, do not agree with this mentality, I believe that if you took time from your life to study and graduate collage and then not use your education to give back to the community and to yourself, you've robbed 2 people of a future; yourself and the person who would have taken your place in collage.

Dareen said...

@Anon: Sure.

@StealthMaker: for me, it's not about the community, it's not about the society, neither the one who would've taken my place, it's about personal achievements, it's about identity!